Do you run a book club within Pickering? We're here to help!
Reserving Book Club Sets
To reserve a Book Club Set, visit the Book Club Set Reservation page. You will have the option to select a book club set by month or by the book title. You will be notified when the set is ready for pickup. Book Club Sets are checked out to the member of your book club who reserved the set and are loaned for 6 weeks (no renewals). The person who checks out the set is responsible for ensuring the return of the entire set.
Book Club Sets are also browsable in the Central Libray lobby or through the Library catalogue.
The Pickering Public Library provides free meeting space to Community Book Clubs for individual meetings or on a year-to-year basis.
Community Book Clubs must reapply for space every year. Receiving space in the past does not mean that you will automatically receive the same space in the future. For more information please review the Community Books Club Procedure for our guiding principles.
To apply for meeting space for your book club, fill out the application by clicking here.
The Central Library and George Ashe Library provide a space that book club leaders can use to leave books for their members to pick up for their book club meetings! Ask Borrower Services staff at either location for details.
The person who checks out the set will still be responsible for ensuring the return of the entire set. Once the book club set is checked out, the items for pickup can be labelled and left on the shelf. Shelf use isn’t limited to use by people who are using the book club sets, any book club can use the shelf to distribute items.
Please note: The Library cannot take responsibility for items left on the shelf.
Finding the Best Book Club Books
- Use Novelist to find your next great Book Club read! After signing in to Novelist using your library card, click "Book Club Best Bets" on the left-hand side of Novelist's home page or type "GN Book Club Best Bets" into the search bar and hit enter.
- Can't find the book you're looking for in our catalogue? Check out our Interlibrary Loan page for information on how to request an item from another library.
Digital Library Materials for Book Clubs
Every eBook and eAudiobook title on Hoopla is available for simultaneous use, at all times. This means that an unlimited number of people can read the same title from Hoopla at the same time.
Hoopla also runs a quarterly Book Club where they pick a ‘Spotlight’ title and provide supporting content like discussion questions and author talks. To locate the current and past ‘Hoopla Book Club’ titles, and additional content: go to http://theclub.hoopladigital.com/, opens a new window, click ‘Current Spotlight’ or ‘Past Spotlight’ at the top of the page to find Hoopla’s Book Club picks. Each quarterly ‘Spotlight’ title has additional resources available to you.
Every title included on the 'Book Club Picks' shelf in the CloudLibrary app is available for simultaneous use - no holds or wait times.
Digital Book Clubs
- Libraries across Ontario and Canada often work together to provide our clients with special digital book club offerings.
- These initiatives often provide additional Book Club content like discussion questions and events such as author talks/readings, Q & A sessions etc.
- These initiatives often pop up with a short timeline which can make it challenging for community Book Clubs if they like to choose their titles in advance. During these events, one title will be available for simultaneous use through Libby. The chosen titles will not be announced until closer to the event date. It requires a great deal of backend work for Libraries and Library Consortiums to organize these initiatives, which is why the titles are often announced later than some clients might prefer.
- The Library will continue to advertise these special Book Club offerings, and the chosen titles, through our Social Media Platforms (Facebook, opens a new window, Twitter, opens a new window and Instagram, opens a new window), and on the Library’s website once the information is available to us.
- Annual digital Book Club events: