Note: Effective November 1, 2021, all employees and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
*Our call for volunteers has closed. Please check back.*
Answers to questions commonly asked about our volunteer opportunities.
*All volunteer hours can be credited to high school community service hours.
1. Where do I send my application?
Please read above instructions for where to send applications based on the position.
2. How long after I submit my application until I hear from someone?
Someone will get in touch with you if we are moving forward with your application.
3. Do I have to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to volunteer at the Pickering Public Library?
Yes, volunteers must be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing their placement. Further information regarding the vaccination policy can be obtained from the Library.
4. How long does it take to get a police check?
Approximately two weeks. Police Checks can now be requested online. Please visit the following website: https://members.drps.ca/PRCOnline/equifax_verification.aspx
5. Do I need to get a police check before sending my application?
No, fill out the application first. You will then be sent a letter for a discounted police check. – You will be interviewed, then if you are accepted will need to get the police check.
6. How much does it cost to get a police check?
$20 with the letter for a discount.
7. Can I apply to more than one position?
Yes! Please apply to as many as you want. Applicants will only be accepted in one position because we have so many volunteers already.
8. Is there an age restriction for volunteering?
All volunteers must be at least 13 years old. For the Teen Advisory Group, volunteers must be between grades 8-12.
9. I don’t live in Pickering, am I still eligible to apply to volunteer at the library?
Due to the popularity of the program and the volume of applications we receive, as of January 2017 our volunteer program only supports applications from residents of Durham Region. Applications from individuals outside of Durham will not be reviewed or considered.