What is an interlibrary loan?
It's borrowing a book from another library! If you are interested in an item that our Library does not own, we can try to borrow that item from another Ontario library on your behalf. You can talk to library staff and have them request an item for you or you can place the request yourself through Client Initiated Interlibrary Loan (CILL).
Once you have registered for an InterLibrary Loan Account using the form below (which requires a valid Pickering Public Library card), you can begin placing and tracking requests.
Place a Request:
Once you have received the email with your username and password for the Interlibrary Loan Portal, head to the Portal to access your account and follow these steps:
- select Sign In and enter the User ID and Password provided in your initial email
- in the Authentication Service menu, choose "Pickering Public Library"
- in the Current Profile menu, choose "SOLS Toronto/Kawartha/401 Area"
- enter keywords from the title and/or author of the item you wish to borrow. If there are no matches, you can continue to search other areas in the Current Profile menu until you find what you are looking for.
- select "Get it!" in the top right corner to place your request
- on the following page, click "Request" to finish processing your request
What is available through Interlibrary Loan?
Books, DVDs, audiobooks, music CDs, and microfilms are available for borrowing, provided the items are not already owned by the Pickering Public Library, have not been published or released within one year of your request date, or are items that are loaned out (rather than in-library use). You may not request Video games or eBooks or other types of downloadable material. Not all requests can be filled, and loans are at the discretion of the lending library.
How can I monitor the progress of my requests?
You can view the status of your request by looking at My Requests. Find out if your request has been processed, shipped, and received. You will see if your request has been cancelled because the item can be found at our library or the policies of the lending library prohibit loan. Please do not resubmit your request if it has been cancelled or was not filled for any reason.
How will I be notified my item is available?
You will be notified by telephone when the Library has received your item. Prompt pick-up ensures you will have the maximum borrowing time.
- It may take anywhere from two weeks to several months to receive your request from another library. We cannot provide an estimated arrival time or guaranteed fulfillment. If you have a deadline for the material, please indicate this under Special Instructions when you submit your request.
- Please notify us if you get the item you have requested from somewhere else while your Interlibrary Loan request is pending.
- If you will be away or unavailable for more than two weeks, please notify us so we can request an extended loan period if the material arrives in your absence.
- Due dates are determined by the library your item comes from. It will be indicated on the Interlibrary Loan Borrower Services slip. Please note this due date and any other special instructions printed on this slip.
Need to register for an Interlibrary Loan Account? Fill out the form below to get started.