At the Pickering Public Library we have various technology services for clients to access. For more information on our Maker Space, please visit the page here: https://pickeringlibrary.ca/makerspace, opens a new window
NEW! Watch Repair Kit and Jewelry Repair Kit
A Watch Repair Kit and Jewelry Repair Kit are now available for use at the Central Library’s Maker Space. Just like every other piece of Maker Space equipment you need:
- A valid Pickering Public Library Card
- A piece of Photo ID to sign the Maker Space Waiver for your first visit each year.
Jewelry Repair Kit
A repair kit which includes an assortment of tools and supplies needed to make basic repairs to your jewelry such as pliers, beading needles, tweezers and more. Also includes 12 styles of jewelry findings and copper wire in silver and gold colour. This kit does not include any replacement jewelry pieces.
Watch Repair Kit
A repair kit which includes an assortment of tools needed to make basic repairs to all styles of watches such as precision screwdrivers, chain link pin pushers and more. Using the kit, you can replace your watch battery and remove/add chain links. This kit does not include replacement batteries, chain links or chain link pins.
Other key pieces of information for these items include:
- These cannot be reserved through Setmore, they are available on a first-come first-serve basis.
- These items are for in-library use only; they are not to be taken out of the Maker Space area.
- There is no staff assistance provided with the Kit, the kits are intended for self-directed use.
1-on-1 Device Assistance
The Library is now offering 1-on-1 device assistance for you to schedule a dedicated period of time with a knowledgeable staff member to help you troubleshoot basic problems, or for you to learn more features of your new device.
We offer help with:
- Laptops (Windows 10 or newer/Mac OS 11 or newer/Chromebooks only)
- Smartphones and Tablets (Android 8 or newer, iOS 13 or newer only)
- Kobo eReaders (Kobo Touch or newer only, Kindle does not support our eBook providers and Sony/Nook eReaders are no longer supported)
- Help answer questions about Email and Microsoft Office Apps (Need to learn? Check our upcoming events, opens a new window for workshops or LinkedIn Learning, opens a new window for immediate online courses)
- Any digital services offered through the Pickering Public Library (e.g. Libby, cloudLibrary, etc.)
At this time, we cannot help with the following:
- File Recovery or Drive Partitioning
- Computer Upgrades/Disassembly
- Desktop Computers
- Specialized Software Programs (e.g. Adobe products, tax software, etc.)
If you would like to learn how to use any of our Maker Space equipment, please book an appointment on the Maker Space page.
We offer this service every week at Central Library and every other week at George Ashe Library (switching to every third Wednesday starting Feb. 21st), but registration is required. You will also be required to sign a liability waiver. Appointments are an hour in length.
|Central Library (Mondays)
|George Ashe Library (Every third Wednesday starting Feb. 21st)
|Central Library (Thursdays starting Feb. 14th)
|9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
|1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
2:45 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
5:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
7:45 p.m. to 8:45 p.m.
|1:30 p.m to 2:30 p.m.
2:45 p.m to 3:45 p.m.
4:00 p.m to 5:00 p.m.
When registering please enter a detailed description of the problem you would like assistance with in the Details field. Bookings can be made up to 3 weeks in advance. Click the button below to make an appointment at the branch of your choice:
If you would like help with something not listed above, or aren’t sure which category your needs fall under, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know if we are able to assist you with your specific need.
In-Library Loanable Laptop Service
Need a webcam? Camera? Internet? The library has several pieces of loanable tech, some of which can be taken home! Please look at some our items below. Some of these items are popular and have a long wait list, please fill out a feedback form if there's any you think we should get more of.