The Ontario Government has announced that Durham Region will be moving back into the Red - Control Zone effective at 12:01 am on February 16. Visit Ontario.ca for details.
This means the Pickering Public Library will be open again for in-person service with some restrictions. Curbside service will also remain available at all locations.
Please visit pickering.ca/COVID19 for the most up-to-date information on Pickering’s response as it relates to City services and facility closures.
What in-library services are available?
- computer use
- printing and photocopying
- picking up holds
- browsing collections
- individual and group study
At this stage, the City of Pickering requires active screening of clients coming into any City of Pickering facility. Please print and fill in the visitor self assessment form before entering the Pickering Public Library. Paper copies are also available at the entrance of all library branches.
All Pickering Public Library locations will continue to provide curbside service for holds pick-up during posted operating hours. Drop boxes will remain open. Staff will also be available during our hours of operation by phone, email, or chat.
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday to Friday: 11:00 am to 7:00 pm
Saturday: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Tuesday - 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Saturday - 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
George Ashe Library:
Monday, Thursday, and Friday: 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday: 9:30 am to 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Saturday: 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Please note, when returning loaned materials, all items are placed into a quarantine period. Clients may experience a delay in seeing the loaned materials updated to a returned status on their Library card accounts. Please do not worry, the Library is not charging late fees at this time.
What about curbside service?
Curbside service remains available at all three locations during the operating hours listed above. The service is available on a first come, first serve basis. No appointments are required.
- Once you receive notification that your hold(s) are available (via email, phone, or your online account) please visit the Library branch where your item is being held during operating hours to proceed with your curbside pickup.
- Upon arrival, please park in the designated curbside parking (for Central and George Ashe, please park in the roundabout, while for Claremont please park as close to the front doors as possible). Call the phone number for your branch and open your trunk or lower the window for the unoccupied back seat. Walk-up clients please call your branch.
- Central Library: 905.831.6265
- George Ashe Library: 905.420.2254
- Claremont Library: 905.649.3341
- When you call, staff will ask for your library card number so that they can get your hold items ready, whether you are on foot or driving. If you are driving, staff will ask for the colour and make of your car so that they can deliver your holds to you.
While we get your holds prepared, don't forget our digital library remains available 24/7! Visit the library without leaving your home! Head to our Digital Library to see our full list of online resources!
Covid-19 Cases Update:
The Pickering Public Library recognizes the vital role libraries play in our community and we are committed to providing a clean and safe environment. We are actively following the recommendations made by Durham Public Health.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, we will be publicly sharing any updates on confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Library that may have come into contact with the public. To respect the privacy of our staff, we will not release personal information related to these cases.
All Library locations have public health protocols in place, including limited capacity, hand sanitizing stations, and physical distancing. Locations are cleaned throughout the day. Library staff and visitors are not to enter any location if they are experiencing symptoms, have travelled recently, and/or have come in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19. Everyone is required to wear a mask at all times when inside Library locations.
Please note that all cases will be removed after 14 days from their initial reporting date unless new information is received.
There are no confirmed cases of Covid-19 to report at this time.